Biking is mostly a daytime exercise however typically the street beckons, even at midnight. Thankfully, you’ll be able to nonetheless get out on two wheels with a couple of key bike equipment and a few suggestions to assist hold you secure, heat and visual—whether or not you’re commuting or simply wish to get out for a night trip.
Mild It Up
1. Some lights are for seeing, and a few assist others see you. You need to have a handlebar mild, a helmet mild and a rear mild. The handlebar mild illuminates the street in entrance of you and makes you seen to oncoming visitors. The rear mild retains you seen from behind, and the helmet mild illuminates your visual field when it’s good to flip and take a look at one thing. For extra lighting suggestions, see our article on how to decide on bike lights.
2. By no means use flash mode in your handlebar mild at evening, and all the time level it on the floor 20 ft in entrance of you. Overly vivid or flashing lights aimed in drivers’ faces is harmful for each of you.
3. USB-rechargeable lights are often a lot brighter however can have a shorter battery life. Carry an additional battery-powered mild as a backup. Set a reminder in your telephone to recharge your lights every evening or when you’re at work.
4. Be conscious of your pace and don’t outride your lights. Give your self sufficient time to react to any obstacles in your path.
Layer It On
5. Biking clothes ought to hold you each heat and visual. Select items with reflective materials and particulars, particularly at spots with a variety of motion like your ankles.
Store Biking Clothes
6. Layering for heat is important on chilly nights. Wool is your pal. Don’t neglect gloves, a balaclava or skullcap, and good socks. For extra concepts, learn our article, What to Put on on a Bike Trip.
7. Reflective tape is an efficient and low-cost means so as to add reflectivity to fenders, frames, luggage, panniers, crank arms, helmets and anything you’ll be able to consider to make your self as seen as attainable.
8. Clear glasses may help shield your eyes from wind and particles vehicles could kick up with out impeding your imaginative and prescient. You will get an affordable pair of security glasses at your native ironmongery store if you happen to’re trying to reduce down on prices.
Trip It Good
9. Examine your bike for any potential points earlier than you head out; you don’t wish to be caught on the facet of a darkish street repairing a series. Ensure you know the right way to do a pre-ride bike inspection.
10. Get aware of your route within the daylight so you’ll be able to see any obstacles or complicated intersections. In case you’re simply beginning out with evening using, a well-lit bike path may help ease you into it till you are feeling snug sufficient to deal with darker routes.
11. Even with good lights, the occasional pothole will take you unexpectedly. Hold your weight in your legs quite than your seat to soak up sudden bumps.
12. Trip with a buddy when you’ll be able to, as a result of the outdated adage of security in numbers is pertinent.
13. Personal the street when vital and don’t hug the curb too tightly on busy streets. Getting over too far can encourage vehicles to go you when it is perhaps unsafe. However all the time trip defensively; drivers aren’t all the time on the lookout for cyclists at evening.
14. Evening using isn’t the place to your fanciest street bike. Select one thing sturdy, ideally with wider tires and mounts for lights and fenders.